Media informatics and interactive entertainment, M. Sc.
|Faculty||Applied Coumputer Sciences and Biosciences|
|Course of studies||Medieninformatik and Interactive Entertainment|
|Academic degree||Master of Science|
|Regular study period||4 Semesters|
|Type of study||
The Master program comprises four semesters and includes in the first year the theoretical and practical development of specialized knowledge and related advanced methods, which will be consolidate and adapted during the second year.
In the first two semesters, various compulsory subjects and qualification lines are offer. From the qualification lines, three have to be complete with the corresponding modules. The research internship in the 3rd semester can be either complete at the university, in a company or abroad and is flank by appropriate seminars. This is follow by the Master's project in the 4th semester. Every student must take at least 30 credits per semester.
The focus of the study is the education of students in the field of Creative Interaction Science, the interdisciplinary knowledge development as well as the digitization of teaching content and the application of sound knowledge of scientific work.
In combination with the selection of qualification lines, the students receive, i. a. specialist skills in the following areas:
· Game Production: Competencies in the field of automation, evaluation, player interaction and proceduralization in the area of commercial game production.
· VFX-Production: Includes all professional works in the field of visual effects for film, games and advertising.
· Web development: Complex systems with the main focus cloud, virtualization, Internet of Things as well as simultaneous usability and comprehensibility by multiple users.
· Interactive data analysis and Deep Learning: Application of artificial intelligence in games and for data analysis in mixed reality for research and industry (autonomous driving, automated and optimized production lines, robot control).
· Game Engine development: The ability to evaluate and adapt available frameworks for digital games (game engines) on the market or to implement in-house developments.
· IT-Governance: Gives an insight into current developments in the field of blockchain technologies and discusses ethical aspects in the field of digitization.
After graduating, graduates of the master's program can autonomously develop both analytical and creative solutions in the field of media informatics and interactive entertainment.
On the one hand, this includes training as a Media computer scientist 4.0, which combines areas of classical computer science with modern content and presentation / interaction options of Web 4.0. On the other hand, for example, creative skills in the field of games for the design, testing and balancing of games are couple with various cutting-edge information technologies. Thereby development aspects, production and control processes as well as the experienced immersion in virtual and augmented reality should be improved and optimized.
In addition, this includes the use and adaptation of state-of-the-art methods of artificial intelligence and deep learning to various areas of application in research and industry in large amounts of data (big data). Specialists in this field experienced a very high demand in recent years.
Further, graduates have developed their individual skills and potential in the field of soft skills and knowledge development in interdisciplinary fields. Through joint projects and practical research, they are able to fill specialist and managerial positions or to work independently in their own company.
Occupational fields and priorities include:
· Media computer scientist 4.0
· Development, design and balancing of games
· Designer in 2D / 3D and Animation
· Specialist for professional visual effects (VFX)
· Design and development of human-machine interfaces
· Development of multimedia and e-learning content
· Development of Web content management systems
· Development of mobile applications
· Development of complex database and software systems for digital media
· Multimedia Information Retrieval, Data Scientist
· Application of artificial intelligence for data analysis in big data
· Project Manager as well as IT and Games Consultant
Admission requirements & Application
Information about admission, German language courses , costs of living as well as the application form are available at our web page: Application instructions for international applicants
Contact for international applicants
Application Service - Bewerberservice
Mrs. Simone Natzschka
Fax: +49 3727 58-21269
Phone: +49 3727 58-1269
Application deadline for the winter semester is May 15. We accept also later applications if there are free places and if, based on our experience, there is a chance for the applicant to to arrive on time for the studies.
Immersive games are increasingly evolving into realistic learning platforms with high market potential. Workflows are recorde in the course of digitization and increasingly automate by methods of artificial intelligence. The media computer scientist of the future must be able to tap into the latest technologies, apply them and adapt them if necessary.
On the technical side, the master's program focuses on communicating current principles of Web 4.0, methods of artificial intelligence with software engineering for complex systems and databases for digital media. The targeted application of the heterogeneous technologies involved requires a fundamental understanding of the underlying principles, which are develop in a practical way with the students through appropriate visualization and interaction methods, also with the help of gamification and virtual and augmented reality.
This is suitably complement by the creative aspects of the degree program in competitive game design and balancing, as well as by procedural methods for the automatic generation of content or special effects and finds interdisciplinary application in various student projects.
This enables the students not only to collaborate professionally in projects in the field of the entertainment industry or in complex software systems of knowledge and information management or to design them.